Monday 31 October 2016

How I Went From Dark to Light Hair in 2 Months

I don't think I've done a story time type post before so this is going to be the first of, hopefully, many! I thought the best way to start was to show you how I went from practically black hair to a light brown, blonde colour in only 2 months. Hair transformations are quite a big thing and I wish I documented this more than what I did but I do have a few photos for reference.


As a bit of a back story, before going dark I was using a red packet dye that you can just pick up from the drugstore or grocery store and then started using the darkest brown dye over that. It was such a mess and my hair was very dark, almost black. I really loved having dark hair the only downside was the upkeep. My natural hair colour is a light mousey brown colour so the regrowth was very noticeable, which is why I eventually decided to go lighter. When I first went to my hairdresser I was thinking of doing 2-3 shades lighter, by the end of the whole process I was about 7 or 8 shades lighter. This is why I'm not a hairdresser!




The salon I go to is quite a small one that is situated on the Sunshine Coast (Australia) called Cosmo. When changing your colour or doing anything drastic to your hair I think it is important to go to a salon that you trust and one that knows you and your current hair condition. Even now that I live in Brisbane, I still travel to the Sunshine Coast to visit my hairdresser.

It was a pretty big decision to change my colour and had to talk about a few things before doing anything. So, there was two ways to approach my hair, either use a colour stripper or go straight in with bleach.


We had previously tested my hair with bleach and the colour that came up wasn't that pleasant, so I was starting to favour the colour stripper. My first appointment we went straight in with the colour stripper and after that my colour did NOT budge at all. We then decided to go in and do a full head of foils so at least at the end of the day I'd be leaving somewhat lighter.


As expected my roots were VERY blonde and the ends of my hair were quite orange/copper and it had to be toned, so I left with a medium brown colour which I really liked. After this appointment, I was using Me & My shampoo and conditioner as well as a Schwarzkopff Igora level 7 toner once or twice a week. 

It was suggested that I wait a few months to do another full head of foils but it was probably only a month later that I decided to go back and do it all again. It was at the end of this appointment that I was really happy with the colour and impressed with how quickly we achieved the colour as well. 


This is where I'm at now! It's so much lighter now and I absolutely love it. The ends are still a little orange/copper but during my appointments I have been getting a bit of length cut off the ends so it's getting rid of those areas with a lot of colour build up. I'm starting to think I want to go even lighter but I'm not too sure how it will look. I think this colour really compliments my skin tone and eye colour.

Do you have any hair transformation posts? I'd love to see them (:

  photo monnii_1_zpshopobw1l.png
bloglovin || twitter || instagram || pinterest || facebook

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© monniiblogs. Design by Fearne.